Monday, January 30, 2017

Nonfiction Monday: Colonial Williamsburg by Meish Goldish

I have a weird relationship with history. I'm not going to get into it now, but suffice it to say I am approaching my weeding of the 900s in 2017 with doubt and trepidation. The only thing I'm sure about is that I need more books about historical weapons, the Vietnam War, and updated books on Native Americans.

I tackled this new title in the "American Places" series with determination. I have absolutely no interest in reenactments and have never really thought much about such places, but as I was reading this I was pulled in despite my skepticism. It's an interesting story.

Rather than focusing on the historical period it brings to life or the modern-day life of people in this historical town, it focuses on the visionary who brought Williamsburg to life, William Goodwin. The book covers his dream for Williamsburg, the archaeological and historical investigation that went into recreating the houses and buildings, and how it exists side by side with modern Williamsburg. Maps, statistics, a glossary, and index are all included.

Verdict: If you're looking to update your collection in the area of historical landmarks in the US, this looks like an excellent series. It's written in a lively, interesting fashion and there are plenty of photographs and information packed into the slim volume.

ISBN: 9781944102463; Published 2016 by Bearport; Review copy provided by the publisher; Donated to the library

No comments: